Saturday, March 1, 2008

Who says money can't buy happiness?


Instead of staying inside and finishing my taxes I went out today to get some sun and do a little shopping. While browsing at A Capella Books, I came across a copy of The Machine in Ward Eleven by Charles Willeford. Since I had just finished Made in Miami earlier in the week Willeford was very much on my mind, and I couldn't resist.

It's a near fine first edition. Aside from one slight imperfection on the spine there's no evidence the book has ever been opened. Unusual for a paperback original. It is a thing of beauty.

I'm not really the kind of person much inclined to impulse buying. Most of the time when I go out I know exactly what I need, and that's what I buy. Sometimes, however, you've gotta give in. Now, I just have to find a beat up copy that I won't be afraid to read.

No comments: