Sunday, April 12, 2009

Blogging the Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction


I've had The Black Lizard of Anthology of Crime Fiction for so long that I forgot I owned it. I picked it up somewhere used cheap a long time ago, before I really became interested in hard boiled crime fiction. I imagine I probably leafed through the contents and saw names like Joe Gores and Robert Edmond Alter and wondered who the hell they were and put the book on a shelf.

Looking for something else the other day, the anthology caught my eye, and I opened it up, and I realized that I now recognized every author's name and had read books by most of them. I put the book on my nightstand and decided I'd work my way through it, one story a week. Then I decided, that while I was at it, I might as well review the stories here. So, look for the first entry later today.

2 comments:

Cullen Gallagher said...

The Jim Thompson story is a real gem, and also has one of best titles - "This World, Then The Fireworks." Nothing sums up the world of his novels better...

Montyburnz said...

The Joe Gores story is one of my favorites of all time.