Saturday, February 24, 2007

An Ethical Question posed by my favorite author, and yours: Spike Morelli

I read another chapter of This Way For Hell by Spike Morelli this morning. As you will recall (If you don't recall you can read about it here) the book's protagonist, private investigator Shaun O'Malley, has just finished feeling up a dead girl under the guise of checking her pulse.
Now, in the very next chapter, O'Malley breaks into an apartment while following a lead. It's a woman's apartment. She comes home. Our, ahem, hero hides in the shower. You don't need to be psychic to see what's coming next: That's right the woman in question goes to take a shower. O'Malley, gentleman that he is, punches the woman when she pulls back the shower curtain. Then, this:

She was dead weight in my arms. I carried her into the bedroom and laid her down on the bed. As I covered her naked body with a sheet I ran my hands over her breasts and couldn't help thinking what a time I could have had if my visit had been a social one.

So, there you have it. One chapter he's feeling up a corpse. The next, a live, though unconscious, woman. My question to you, dear reader, is, which act is more reprehensible? Feeling up a dead girl or feeling up a live one? I'm being serious. I can't decide which act should repulse me more.

No comments: