Friday, January 26, 2007

Ross MacDonald and Warren Zevon


How in the hell did I not know this? Today, in a moment of idleness, I ran a Google search for Warren Zevon and crime fiction. I was wondering if anyone had ever compiled a list of Zevon's links to the world of crime fiction, and references to Zevon's work in novels.
I didn't find a list, but I did find this January Magazine article about Kenneth Millar ( a.k.a. MacDonald) and Zevon. I had no idea they knew each other, let alone that it was Millar who convinced Zevon to go into rehab This is why I love the Internet.
I didn't find a list though, so I've got to work on that. I know Carl Hiassen referenced him in Lucky You and, of course, Basket Case and that they wrote a song together on Mutineer (an underrated album, by the way). I also know Greg Rucka's Fistful of Rain takes its title from a song on this album . I'm sure, with a little research, I can find more. If anyone's knows of any other references to Zevon's work in crime novels, email me, please.

There is also a petition to have Zevon inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Sign it.

No comments: